Thinking about switching to a metal roof? It’s definitely a good idea and one that will let you take advantage of the many benefits that they provide.
Before we look at exactly what those benefits are, you should first know a bit about some of the more common types of roofing systems right now.
Types of Roofing Systems
Over the years there have been many types of roofing systems made up of numerous types of materials. However right now the three most popular types are:
- Solar tiles that can be placed alongside existing shingles and will generate about 1kW of energy per 100 square feet.
- Asphalt shingles are the most common type of roofing nowadays and are generally cheaper but aren’t all that durable or long-lasting.
- Metal roofing is more expensive than asphalt but brings several other benefits to the table.
Benefits of a Metal Roofing System
Metal roofing systems are very different from the conventional asphalt shingles, or even solar tiles. The main benefits they bring to the table include:
- Energy efficiency due to the reflection of heat from the sun that reduces the need for cooling. Many metal roofs also have a dead air space between the metal and roof deck to increase energy efficiency.
- Environmentally-friendly as most of the metal roof systems can normally be recycled compared to shingles that end up as waste.
- Durable and long-lasting with a life expectancy of 40 to 70 years. Metal roofs are able to withstand winds, snow, and impacts better than other roof systems.
- Lightweight and typically weighs only 50 to 150 pounds per 100 square feet, compared to asphalt that weights 600 to 750 pounds per 100 square feet.
Cons of a Metal Roofing System
Although metal roofs have lots of advantages – they do have some drawbacks. In particular, you should be aware that they:
- Can be dented with impact from hailstones, especially if the roof is made from copper or aluminum.
- Come in limited colors that may not fit your home.
- Are more expensive than other types of roofing and can cost two to three times as much.
Is it worth it?
Wondering if metal roofs are still worth it? The short answer is: Yes. Despite the fact that their color options are limited, nowadays they are steadily expanding.
As far as cost is concerned you should keep in mind that while it is two or three times as expensive, metal roofs are more durable and long-lasting – and will probably last three or four times as long.
To put it simply, metal roofs are definitely worth it – and you should get in touch with Miami Metal Deck if you want help deciding which options are best for your home.